We invited readers to share some of their favourite festive recipes with us. As part of an ongoing series, here are two more specialties:
First up, here's how to bake Apple Pie by Priya Manoj:
Preparation time: 45 minutes
- 4 cups apples (peeled and sliced)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 unbaked pie shell
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 cup butter
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- Soak the apples in melted butter.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flour, sugar and spices.
- Remove apples from melted butter.
- Coat soaked apples with sugar mixture and pour it into pastry shell.
- Cover the top of the apple filling with a layer of butter to give it a rich flavour.
- Now bake at 400 degrees F for about 45 minutes, until apples are tender.
- Apple pie is ready. Serve with vanilla icecream.
Health quotient: This dish carries the health benefits of apples.
And next, Priya outlines how to prepare Oat Cookies:
Preparation time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup oats
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup pecans (chopped)
- 1 large egg
- Put oats in an oven at 300 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Beat the egg. Add salt, sugar, and blend well.
- Mix oats, vanilla and pecans.
- Pour the mixture by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheets.
- Bake at 300 degrees F for 30 minutes.
- Oat cookies are now ready.
Health quotient: Oats are wholegrain and a good source of protein.