We invited readers to share some of their favourite festive recipes with us. As part of an ongoing series, here are two more specialties:
First up, here's how to cook up Roast Chicken with Barbecue Sauce by Nidhi M:
Preparation time: 1 hour 30 minutes
For the roast chicken:
- 1.5 kgs whole chicken
- 1 1/2 tbsps butter/ margarine/ vegetable oil
- 2 tsps black pepper
- 2 tsps salt
- 1 cup water
For the barbecue sauce:
- 16 tbsps tomato sauce
- 12 tbsps tomato puree
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 4 tbsps onion (minced)
- 2 tbsps brown sugar
- 2 tbsps vinegar
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Pre-heat the oven to 450 degrees F and clean and rinse the chicken thoroughly, then pat dry on the inside and out, using paper towels. Fold the wings under the chicken.
- Grease the roasting rack with half a tbsp of the vegetable oil/ margarine/ butter and use the rest to grease the chicken thoroughly, both inside and out.
- Rub salt and pepper into chicken evenly; then place on the roasting rack within the pan and roast in the oven for 20 minutes.
- Pour a cup of water onto the chicken and roast again for another 45 minutes or until well done.
- Remove the chicken from the oven and set aside for 15 minutes; it is then ready to serve.
- For the barbecue sauce, heat the olive oil in a pan and cook the garlic and onion till the onions are golden-brown.
- Add remaining ingredients, mix thoroughly and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or so. Serve alongside chicken.
- Tip: You can add rashers or bacon bits to the chicken for added flavour.
Health quotient: The recipe hardly uses any oil and if you use vegetable oil, it is even healthier.
And here is how to whip up Garlic Cheese Dip to be served as an appetiser with nachos or wafers, by Shefali Shah:
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- 16 ounces cream cheese or shredded cheese
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Put all ingredients in a food processor and combine until mixture becomes the consistency of whipped cream cheese.
- Transfer to a bowl and cover with cling wrap. Chill for at least an hour before serving.
Health quotient: It's a healthy source of protein and calcium.